Does pmount honor mount_root?

Chris Atkinson thirtyyearswar at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 25 19:25:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:30:56 +0200
Martin Pitt <martin at piware.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris!

Hi Martin. Thanks for your swift reply.

> Right. /media is fixed in pmount at compile time. pmount itself knows
> nothing about hal. The hal information is fed to pmount over the
> pmount-hal wrapper.

I think I got it: mount_root doesn't really do anything, so I ignore
it and change the MEDIADIR variable and recompile if I really
miss /mnt and the old FHS that much.

>  - When I designed pmount, I wanted its policy to be self-contained,
>    i. e. not depend on external and possibly untrusted information.
>    When pmount was written, hal was an untrusted source of
>    information. It got much better nowadays, though.

I'd assume so: all of the various .fdi files can only be written by
root, so it isn't like random users could use hal to mount things
where they oughn't be.

--
Chris Atkinson
email: thirtyyearswar at mindspring.com