HAL, and laptop Fn and hardware keys

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Sep 21 07:44:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 12:47 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > Well, it would probably be accepted better in other distros, and in the
> > existing infrastructure. For me, adding another ButtonPressed event in
> > GNOME Power Manager is a two second job (as it already uses libhal), as
> > it would be in any userspace application.
>
> I don't know how easy it is to add a event to GNOME Power Manager but if you
> already use D-BUS (and I think you do) it should be very easy to catch the
> D-BUS event from IAL for keys.

Why on earth would I want Yet Another Daemon.. from Yet Another
Project... running for something as trivial as keys, when we got HAL and
it fits perfectly in with the model we use for other devices? Care to
explain why it's a bad idea to port this to HAL?

I feel that doing this in a separate project leads to the "explosion of
complexity", "too many small userspace bits", "too many different
upstream project", "too many API's to track" kind of problems. $DEITY
knows that most Linux distributions got enough of these problems
already. In many ways, it's a complete mess.

> We follow (as e.g. also with powersave) an other way for special tasks: KISS
> (Keep it small and simple).

        KISS Principle /kis' prin'si-pl/ /n./

        "Keep It Simple, Stupid". A maxim often invoked when discussing
        design to fend off creeping featurism and control development
        complexity. Possibly related to the marketroid maxim on sales
        presentations, "Keep It Short and Simple".

What you are proposing, two separate projects, is simply not KISS.

    David