battery.technology, take 2

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 01:31:29 PDT 2006

2006/8/3, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 20:56 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > IMO this has nothing to do with what I proposed above. I only think about move
> > > all battery/pm related helperfunctions from utils.c/h to a own file. This is
> > > more a code design issue than anything other.
> >
> > IMHO, that has just to do with splitting code that will heavily be
> > enhanced/completed in a not so far future. So, you're right in stating
> > that it's just a matter of code design.
>
> Oh, I think Danny was just talking about some of the code we use for the
> weirdness we get from ACPI batteries. I think he just wanted to move
> that to new files util-pm.[ch] instead of having it in util.[ch]. Which
> makes sense to me.

so we're all on the same wave length ;-)
since nut drivers (in fact, only newhidups) also expose such a
weirdness in HAL battery.technology (only "pbac" for the moment) as
the current hald-addon-hid-ups does...

2 side notes:
- the HID PDC (Power Devices Class) standard, used by UPSs, has been
partly designed with ACPI in mind, which explains why we have some
shared things between ACPI and [USB] HID UPSs.
- I try to give to you (HAL guys) some visibility on power devices,
other than ACPI, which might sometimes lead to confusion when
expressed in an unrelated thread. Mea culpa ;-)
If you prefer, I can keep these for my draft on that subject.

Arnaud