HAL, sound cards and laptops

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Sun Aug 6 17:03:13 PDT 2006

On Mon, 07.08.06 01:04, Soren Hansen (sh at linux2go.dk) wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 11:53:45PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > - My laptop has a softmodem which is available as ALSA device on
> > Linux. Currently there is no way to tell the difference between a real
> > sound card and such a modem in HAL.
>
> Doesn't the device pointed to by alsa.physical_device reveal whether
> it's a modem or an actual sound card? I don't have one of these modems,
> so I can't test it from here.

Many laptops with AC97 sound have one of these modems
("MC97"). However, by default ALSA doesn't load the drivers for these
modems.

Besides "pci.device_class" (which may be 7 or 4, as I already
described in my original mail) the device referred to by
"alsa.physical_device" does not reveal any info about whether it is
actually a modem or an audio device with speakers. "pci.device_class"
is only available for PCI sound devices. USB sound devices are left in
the cold. That's why I was asking for an explicit property for this
distinction.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/