HAL, sound cards and laptops

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Aug 8 04:27:34 PDT 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 22:19, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> The current HAL OSS code uses strncmp() on the device name a lot. It's
> trivial to modify the current code to ignore /dev/adsp entirely.

Why would you ignore now also /dev/adsp* ? This IIRC the second PCM device
(hw:0,1) you can't remove this device. As I already said: if you are not
interested in this device information: filter out the device and ignore it
(this is also what other applications do if they are not interested in
particular devices), but this is not a reason to remove the deviceinformation
from HAL.

> > I guess keying of the DMI data (specifically smbios.system.product) is
> > fine, it's just a lot of work maintaining that list. Maybe it's
> > something to consider doing in the kernel drivers too?

from my other mail:
... In future, most machines will be replaced with either HD-audio or others
that are capable to tell more details of the hardware. Then such a thing will
become easier. ...

Danny