HAL, sound cards and laptops

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Fri Aug 11 05:58:26 PDT 2006

On Tue, 08.08.06 17:01, Danny Kukawka (danny.kukawka at web.de) wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 14:17, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:04:32PM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > > No, IMO not. This is as I already wrote only possible for AC97 and not
> > > HD-audio and other devices. And if this only work for AC97, this info is
> > > IMO useless. But you can also check this in your code if you really need
> > > this info. The only correct way is via ALSA.
> >
> > Mm? Surely the entire point of hal is to provide this information
> > without needing to know the specific APIs? It would be massively helpful
> > if hal would tell me whether a device node corresponds to a real sound
> > card or a modem. AFAIK, there's no trivial way to get that information
> > via OSS, which is still a supported kernel API.
>
> Okay, Thanks to Takashi Iwai. He wrote today, after our discussion, a patch to
> export the the type/class information to sysfs (IMO this go upstream into the
> kernel). I work on integration of this information in HAL and send a patch
> (together with the kernel patch) if all works.

This is awesome. Many thanks to Takashi!

Do you have an idea how you will name this property and what values it
will take? If so I can start using it in PulseAudio and use an FDI
file to fill the property in the meantime.

Thanks,

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/