tray close

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 16 09:44:11 PDT 2006

> volumes including iPod's

Yep, that's when the little thingie changes display from "Do not
disconnect" to "OK to disconnect".

> So if you want to add a new method, it needs to be on a new interface on
> the device object with capability 'storage'. We should probably call it
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage. Maybe also include Eject() on that
> interface too, just for symmetry. Perhaps we want to remove Eject() from
> the org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume interface or at least deprecate
> it.

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage does make more sense for tray
operations, because the tray stays with the storage device but volumes
come and go. On the other hand, "eject this volume" is an intuitive
command from the application developer POV.

Then there's a hypothetical case of more than one tray in one enclosure.
Maybe in that case the backend would create separate storage objects for
each tray: that would already happen if it's a multi-interface USB or a
multi-LUN SCSI device.

Removing Eject() on org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume now seems a bit
extreme. It can wait until 1.0, or maybe just stay there.

-Artem.