0.5.8 goals and TODO list updated

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:18:17 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 20:09 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

>  2. have comments about what we want to finish we 0.5.8. Specifically
>     it would be great if Richard or someone else could look at the
>     TODO about the VideoAdapterPM stuff - I haven't really followed
> it.

Basically we've already got:

* a pre-populated list of some machines that we can convert to fdi
matches (using bios version and vendor) for broken hardware.
* a really basic tool[1] that can be used by power-users to easily add
fdi entries to their known broken hardware.

The biggest problem with using that tool or adding the pre-populated
list is that they require installed versions of HAL master and pm-utils
HEAD.

Now I think I can count on one hand the number of people using HAL and
pm-utils CVS builds, so until we get a tarball release of HAL (with
VideoAdapterPM support) and a formal tarball release of pm-utils (adding
Peter as a cc, but I know he's on holiday) it's really difficult to get
some momentum for this.

I still think the VideoAdapterPM thing is the way to go, and that FDI
matching is going to be a kick-arse way to add broken hardware.

Richard.

[1]
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnome-power-manager/docs/calculate-video-fdi.sh