How do I deny mount or mount ro for usb, cd, floppy

Karl-Olov Serrander kase at cntw.com
Thu Aug 24 00:41:00 PDT 2006

Hi !

(Earlier sent to fedora-list but no responses there.)

I need to deny mount of removable media on some machines.
Some machines should be allowed to mount removable media readonly.

How do I deny mount or make mount readonly for usb, cd, floppy in Fedora Core 5 ?

I guess it is hidden somewhere in hal config files.

I have tried storage-skip-all.fdi from /usr/share/doc/hal-0.5.7.1/conf,
placed in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/95userpolicy but that does nothing.

Having this in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/95userpolicy/99-ignore-usb-drives.fdi
works for usb (ie does not mount at all):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
  <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.bus" string="usb">
    <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
  </match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

How do I make it work for cd and floppy ?

And how can I make I make mounts read-only if I allow mounting ?

Running gnome or kde

Regards
Karl-Olov Serrander kase at cntw.com