Printer Ink levels and capabilities

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 13:05:28 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 21:01 +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:
> Here I give you a short summary of what is going on in libinklevel
> currently:

Thanks, that's useful to know.

> Finally I want to say that I would be very pleased if libinklevel was
> integrated into HAL and so found a much wider audience.

Okay, so other than the code, do you have any interface definition? For
instance, we need to define methods and properties in a general way for
each printer.

For instance, for my old epson, I could imagine:

printer.number_cartridges = 2 (int)
printer.cartridge_names = {black, composite}
printer.ink_level = {80, 45} (strlist)
printer.interface_type = "epson" (string)

<any others as required>

I see no point exposing each as a method as this stuff changes very
infrequently and and application could call:

void org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Printer.RefreshLevels (void)

if an update is required.

How does that sound?

Richard.