vfat and Upper Case?

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed Feb 8 15:50:51 PST 2006

Hello,

I've been trying to figure this out for months now, so I will attempt to
get help without resorting to a shrink. :)

I'm on a Gentoo system, with kernel 2.6.12, udev 084, hal 0.5.5.1. Gnome
2.12.

Until the 2.6.11 (or .12) kernel, my USB-storage, vfat camera would
display filenames lowercase. Since then, it uses uppercase.

It's clearly because of the shortname mount option, and it behaves
properly when I set it from "winnt" to "lower":

/dev/sdb1 on /media/SANVOL type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=winnt,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)

However, I can't figure out where those mount options are set. All I
know is that I have to rename each file I get from my camera, or mount
manually. I suspect the problem may be pmount, but I don't know.

Below is some dmesg output. Thanks for any help!

--Pat

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
usb-storage: device found at 7
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
   Vendor: Casio     Model: QV DigitalCamera  Rev: 5010
SCSI device sdb: 499712 512-byte hdwr sectors (256 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 00 46 02 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 499712 512-byte hdwr sectors (256 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 00 46 02 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
  sdb: sdb1
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems,
filesystem will be case sensitive!