No volume detected on USB key

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Thu Feb 23 02:27:35 PST 2006

Hello,

I have been trying to upgrade from HAL 0.4.x to 0.5.x (0.5.5.1 to be
precise) but I ran into the following problem:

When I start hald with my USB key plugged into the computer, HAL detects
the device perfectly. But when I plug the device in *after* hald is
started, HAL only detects a block device (/dev/sda) and not the volume on
it (/dev/sda1). Manual mounting of the volume /dev/sda1 works perfectly,
but hald complains that there exists no volume /dev/sda1.

One more oddity I noted: HAL sets the 'hotpluggable' property of the USB
key to 'true' when the device is plugged in *before* hald is started,
while the 'hotpluggable' property is set to 'false' when the device is
plugged in *after* hald has been started.

My system: Gentoo Linux on x86.

How can I solve this problem?

Cheers!

Dik