Add Hardware Input Device for ACPI

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:32:09 PST 2006

The simple attached patch creates a node that we can use for
ButtonPressed events from devices not in the DSDT. It doesn't do
anything much now, but will, when hooked up with the other addons that
are launched from fdi files.

These could include my Compaq server management buttons or Toshiba
hardware buttons, and the acpi buttons not expressed in the DSDT. This
could (and should?) be also used for the lid, power and sleep buttons we
do now, but I think we should keep compatibility by not removing them
just yet.

Creating one device per button is not flexible enough for ACPI, as we do
not know if some buttons are present at coldplug, and therefore cannot
create devices. We do not want a large number of button devices in the
HAL tree (25+?) for single button action, e.g. BrightnessUp,
BrightnessDown, LockScreen etc.

Okay to merge this simple patch?

Richard.