General questions about HAL

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Sun Feb 26 10:31:02 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:

> I strongly believe that all user customizations must be done on the desktop
> side, say if you're running GNOME with g-v-m and gnome-mount, GConf, you only
> need to look in GConf. Take Dik Takken's example - there is no reason g-v-m
> couldn't allow to specify commands to run on device insertion (per device
> type, per device instance, or other criteria).

I strongly agree here.. :) Unfortunely my desktop (KDE) has very basic HAL
integration, you can't get it to call a script when some detailed event
description is matched. So, I need to write fdi files to get what I want.
Personally, I think that as long as HAL desktop integration is still
quite basic, HAL should make it easy for users to customize event
handling. Just as a short-term solution, of course.

> HAL is an open development (well almost ;) Anyone can make suggestion or
> feature requests.

I know too little about how desktop environments interface into HAL and
how that could be improved. I think I should stick to filing wishlist
items in the bug tracking system of my desktop.

Dik