Getting hal to invoke callouts

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 6 19:54:29 PST 2006

I have been trying to get the hal to make a callout to an external
utility required to configure detected cdrw drives, and can't get it to
to work.  I have created the following hal fdi policy file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="storage.cdrom.cdrw" bool="true">
      <match key="block.is_volume" bool="false">
        <merge key="info.callouts.add" type="string">/home/psusi/dump</merge>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

dump is an executable shell script I wrote just to dump the parameters
and environment to log files so I can inspect them, but the log files
never get created.  What am I doing wrong with the policy files?

My goal here is to write a policy file that will have the hal run
pktsetup on detected cdrw devices to create a packet writing virtual
device, which allows you to mount a cdrw disc in full read/write mode
like a giant floppy.  I also need to get the hal to invoke a callout
when media is detected in such drives to look at the track info and
decide if it has been formatted for packet mode, and if so, apply some
merge fdi rules to change block.device, block.major, block.minor, and
block.sysfs_path so that the disc is correctly auto mounted in
read/write mode via the pktcdvd device node.