Suspend and NetworkManager

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:10:03 PST 2006

> Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) said:
> > Now that n-m is in common use (not just fedora and redhat) why shouldn't
> > we remove the NetworkManager sleep/wake code from pm-suspend and g-p-m,
> > and place it directly in the hal-system-power-suspend and
> > hal-system-power-hibernate files. e.g.
> >
> > dbus-send --system \
> >           --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager \
> >           /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager \
> >           org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
> >
> > There is no delay for systems that are not using n-m.
> >
> > The other distro-specific bits in pm-suspend should remain (like
> > starting and stopping services) but I think the n-m case has to be more
> > generic.
>
> What if you're calling pm-suspend directly (as opposed to via
> a hal callout, which is somewhat more complicated to do from the command
> line)?

HAL scripts certainly shouldn't be called from the command line... As
for pm-suspend this all depends on whether pm-scripts design allowed
them to be called from the command line, or were just invented for use
by HAL. (Bill?)

I'm just asking opinions for the best way to do this at the moment,
rather than proposing any patches.

Thanks, Richard.