Suspend and NetworkManager

Jaap Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Wed Jan 11 07:17:52 PST 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:53 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
>
>>HAL now contains methods to perform a hibernate or a suspend. GNOME
>>power manager uses these methods and probably the gnome-logout screen
>>will also call these somewhere in the near future.
>>
>>Therefore to me it seems more logical that HAL sends a generic "wake"
>>and "sleep" signal to which all applications can listen whenever
>>somebody calls the HAL methods hibernate or suspend.
>

> You need a way for the applications to delay the suspend; hence they
> need to register and ACK/NAK/delay the suspend. It's that simple.

Agree

>>Scripts that users can call on the command line would just call the HAL
>>method to hibernate/suspend.
>

> Users doing such crazy stuff can not expect it to work (and if you want
> it to work, provide them with a script that pokes g-p-m)

Agree as well

>>If g-p-m would expose this interface then it means that all apps should
>>call a hibernate/suspend method of g-p-m, which will send the signal
>>"sleep" then call the HAL method hibernate/suspend.
>

> Yes, this is exactly what we need - the logout dialog would use the same
> interface.

OK

>>This seems just one
>>extra layer which is not really necessary.
>

> But it is necessary in order to do this. What's the problem?

There's no problem. It's only weird that we do hibernate/suspend in HAL
and sending "wake"/"sleep" signals in gpm. Since both of these are
heavily related I'd expect they would be in the same module.

I.e. sending the signals and implemeting the hibernate/suspend method
both in gpm or both in HAL

Is it a problem to both in HAL?

Jaap