Suspend and NetworkManager

Jaap Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Wed Jan 11 05:49:41 PST 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:58 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
>>Now that n-m is in common use (not just fedora and redhat) why shouldn't
>>we remove the NetworkManager sleep/wake code from pm-suspend and g-p-m,
>>and place it directly in the hal-system-power-suspend and
>>hal-system-power-hibernate files. e.g.
>

> No, I'm positive that the right solution is for gnome-power-manager to
> expose an interface on the session bus that NetworkManager's nm-applet
> can register with and shutdown accordingly. Back in April I wrote about
> it here
>
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/utopia-list/2005-April/msg00002.html
>
> and I think these thoughts still apply. Do you agree?
>
> What you are proposing seems not as optimal and will probably just delay
> the right solution. That's just what I'm thinking - I could be wrong :-)

Hi,

HAL now contains methods to perform a hibernate or a suspend. GNOME
power manager uses these methods and probably the gnome-logout screen
will also call these somewhere in the near future.

Therefore to me it seems more logical that HAL sends a generic "wake"
and "sleep" signal to which all applications can listen whenever
somebody calls the HAL methods hibernate or suspend.

Scripts that users can call on the command line would just call the HAL
method to hibernate/suspend.

If g-p-m would expose this interface then it means that all apps should
call a hibernate/suspend method of g-p-m, which will send the signal
"sleep" then call the HAL method hibernate/suspend. This seems just one
extra layer which is not really necessary.

Jaap