formatting/partitioning methods in HAL

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Sun Jan 15 19:05:28 PST 2006

> D-BUS and HAL provides a very nice and secure way of allowing certain
> unprivileged users to do very basic and *controlled* things through
> D-BUS method invocations.

One thing I found with integraing D-BUS into a non-native OS (I'm I
allowed to say that? :) is that it's difficult to integrate with
existing security mechanisms. D-BUS is limited in recognizing extended
security attributes (identity, authentication, privileges, etc) at the
other end of communication (methods and, more so, signals). UID is not
enough, even you recently hit the wall with the lack of session
identifier for ConsoleTracker. In theory, D-BUS in expandable in this
area, but it has not been done in recent history, as far as I can tell.

-Artem.