output from scripts spawned by DBUS method invocations

Christopher Santero csantero at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:13:25 PST 2006

I got my hal-system-storage-format script to get executed when a
client tries to invoke Format on
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Unstable (which I can verify since I
put a sleep statement in the script, which dutifully blocks my test
program for the duration). Now my question is, how can I get output
from these scripts? Echoing to stdout or stderr doesn't go anywhere,
since nothing is done with the stderr file descriptor returned from
hal_util_helper_invoke_with_pipes when it is called from
hald_exec_method (hald_dbus.c:2708). Should a watch be placed on the
stderr_fd returned from that function, which logs the messages?

Chris