fdi files device syntax

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jul 22 08:18:14 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 13:39 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On embedded devices running hald, we currently load and process all fdi
> files placed in certain directories. For Stuff like 770 it make sense to
> be able to specify "this fdi file never should be loaded" as stuff like
> wireless mice make no sense for this type of device.

What happens if it makes sense for the next revision of the device? It
seems like you're trying to fix the symptoms instead of the root problem
which is that hald is just plain stupid insofar that it doesn't cache
XML files.

And Kay already got a patch for this....

> What I'm suggesting is the following:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device>
>     <match key="info.int" int="666">
>     fooo...
>
> Adding an extra (optional) parameter to the device tag, so that we can
> specify what type of device this fdi is target to.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device id="nokia770-version-a">
>     <match key="info.int" int="666">
>     fooo...
>
> This saves deleting and adding custom fdi files for these devices, and
> saves considerable time in the loading as we can have a runtime list of
> "allowed devices".
>
> Maybe there's a better way to do this, suggestions welcome.

Yes, we need to fix the root problems, not paper over the problem
throwing new features and options at the problem.

Cheers,
David