building without volume_id

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jul 22 08:24:12 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 12:16 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am monitoring GNOME builds on http://jhbuild.bxlug.be and HAL new
> dependency on libvolume_id (or libvolume_id move to udev) is causing
> troubles.

Yea, sorry about that. In our defense, both Kay and I've been saying for
the most of a year that this duplication of volume_id sources in both
hal and udev is going to go away.

> I had two options :
>
>  - adding a new volume_id module, using git to grab the latest version
>    from udev.  Unfortunately I can't get git to only clone a sub
>    directory (extras/volume_id/lib) and this makes integration within
>    jhbuild difficult.
>
>  - adding a new configure check to HAL, specifically checking for
>    volume_id, and disabling volume_id calls in probe-storage/volume if
>    it was not found.  This is the path taken in the attached patch.
>
> Would this be considered for inclusion ?

No, volume_id is a core feature of hal and it doesn't really make sense
to build hal without it.

I suggest updating to a recent version of udev from the distribution
that you use (I think we waited until the at least Fedora Rawhide and
SUSE Factory got the necessary versions; don't know about Debian and
others, sorry). Or just install the bits from the latest udev tarball
that you need locally into e.g. /usr/local.

Cheers,
David