git - the first line in a commit message is the subject line

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Jul 29 08:25:42 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 10:37 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Please wrap commit messages at 70-80 characters per line, thanks.
> Otherwise 'git log' is not funny to look at from the command line.

> > diff-tree 013d2b5ea3e51b5f8f100656c5a4ee78e32030b0 (from ded2e6c3119447b34e7cd492c7a126a18d0f979a)
> > Author: Richard <richard at hughsie.com>
> > Date:   Fri Jul 28 22:35:20 2006 +0100
> >
> >     Correct the error name, obviously a copy/paste error that's lived undetected in CVS for years.

Right, we all should please _always_ add a _short_ and nice description
of the commit to the _first_ line of the commit and terminate by two
newlines (it will work without the second newline, but that is not nice
for the interfaces).

Don't put too many filler words in there. This first line is the only
text that makes it into the autogenerated changelog and the gitweb
browser list. People need to understand that line without too much
parsing. In this case it could just be something like:
  correct D-BUS error name 'Remove'

And right, lines should be wrapped _before_ commiting, cause the
commandline interface does not do this for you.

Cheers,
Kay