replace PolicyKit with resmgr

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 26 13:01:41 PDT 2006

Can't say about replacement, but I like the idea of a single API that HAL uses
to retrieve privileges, regardless to how these privileges are really stored and
managed. The issue of device permissions/ACLs is largely irrelevant, because
that's just one of many ways to store privileges. Currently polkitd stores
privileges in text files - I think a resmgr backend could be hooked up instead.

The notion of 'temporary' I think (might be mistaken) means it only exists in
polkitd's memory, not written back to the privilege backing store. Such
privileges can be revoked without relogging in or even restarting the privileged
process.

Initial HAL integration in Solaris will probably not use polkitd at all, only
the libpolkit with static privileges from the text files (though the D-BUS stuff
that creeped in recently will need to be patched). We also don't use
pam-console. Even in this stripped down configuration HAL automatic mounting
will work fine. This is the kind of mix-and-match flexibility I like to maintain
with the libpolkit API.

-Artem.