Proposed additions to the portable_audio_player namespace

Gabriel Burt gabriel.burt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 13:57:54 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 14:43 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Btw, are the output_formats and input_formats useful? IIRC they are both
> a mixture of containers and actual encoding formats. I dunno how to fix
> that or if it's even a problem; I'm not an expert in the audio / sound
> domain..

I think they are useful.  In Banshee we use them to decide whether we
need to transcode files before putting them on a device.

> Can you send a patch to the spec (doc/spec/hal-spec.xml.in in CVS) for
> these? That would be useful. Thanks.

Attached.  I made the playlist_folder into playlist_path with a %File
variable to accommodate devices that may only allow a single playlist in
a specific location.  I didn't add a %TrackNumber because I was thinking
that applications could choose how to format the file name (01 - Track
Name.mp3 for example).  But I'm not certain - maybe we should allow it
to be fully dictated by the device.  The original goal of the
filepath_format key was really support different music folders and
hierarchy limitations, not file name formatting.

By the way, I've been browsing the HAL spec via this URL:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html
and it used to come up as a nicely formatted HTML page, but now it's
plain text..  Firefox recognizes it as text/html but it's still just
text.  All the HTML tags seem to have been removed in the last commit -
was this on purpose?

Thanks,

Gabriel