raw device property

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 29 11:25:05 PST 2006

Kay,

> That sounds fine, but Linux does not have raw devices. How do we
> add Solaris specific properties to the spec, btw?

For Solaris-specific properties there will be solaris.* namespace.
However, this is not a case of an OS-specific property - OSes other that
Solaris have raw devices, and Linux might have raw devices some day. In
fact, I found this:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/raw.8.html

What I'm proposing is that "block.raw_device" be an *optional*, not
mandatory, property. If the system supports and/or configured with raw
devices, HAL can create this property; otherwise, it doesn't have to.

As I said, the way this can be handled in a portable application is to
check for "block.raw_device" first, and fall back to "block.device" is
the former does not exist.

-Artem.