Possible to get all keys with hal-get-property?

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Thu Mar 30 11:27:02 PST 2006

Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:27:08AM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>>   I am *starting* to get a handle on Hal. :p
>>
>>   I was wondering, is it possible to use 'hal-get-property' to show all
>> the keys for a given UDI? For example (I know this doesn't work) but
>> something like:
>>
>> hal-get-property --udi
>> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_e5808dc8_f0c5_48b6_ab28_3b718558485b
>> --key *
>
> This shows only one device:
>   lshal --long --show /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
>
> But I hope you don't plan to parse that with other software.
>
>>   Even better would be some help on using Perl's Net::DBus to get all
>> the keys for a given UDI! The docs are still sparse I am afraid (or at
>> least sparse from the point of view of a n00b like me :P ).
>
> Look at libhal, and what it is doing with DBUS, that should match
> somehow:
>   http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/libhal/libhal.c?rev=1.58&view=markup
>
> Kay

Um, poo?

   As I said, I'm a n00b. :p I guess I still have a lot to learn but I
am finding it very hard to find resources to help with learning. Ah
well, if it was too easy it wouldn't be fun, eh?

   Thanks for that info. I was planning to try parsing the output so you
just saved me a lot of time.

Madison