HAL ported to FreeBSD

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 1 08:18:55 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 19:22 +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Joe Marcus Clarke and I have ported HAL to FreeBSD. The attached patch
> contains various portability/bug fixes as well as a few
> improvements. It'd help me if you could apply them.
>
> Note that I'm not sending the freebsd backend since we're still
> working on it (for those who want to have a look, it's available at
> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/hal/hald/freebsd/).

Sorry for the lag, I was out all weekend. Thanks a lot for the effort, I
really appreciate it, here's some high-level comments

 1. As Richard points out, it would be easier to review the patch if you
    could chop it into some logical chunks - it doesn't have to be too
    fine grained

 2. Things like

      +	if [ "x`uname -s`" = "xFreeBSD" ]; then

    should probably be avoided. Maybe hald-runner should just export
    environment variables UNAME_S and so forth. What do you think?

    I like the ideal of having a shared script, e.g.
    hal-system-lcd-get-brightness that is shared between
    OS'es because we will do the policy checking in it. Maybe the
    answer here is to have

     tools/linux/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-linux
     tools/freebsd/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-freebsd
     tools/solaris/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-solaris

    and have tools/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness call the right one.
    Then on e.g. FreeBSD you don't have to install the bits in
    tools/linux or tools/solaris. Is this cool with you? Artem, what
    do you think?

 3. You guys should probably get CVS accounts; please follow the
    procedure at

     http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

I think that's it for now; I'll comment on each of the specific patches
when they're chopped up in smaller pieces.

Thanks again.

     David