The HAL Spec

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 8 11:25:44 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 10:56 -0700, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
> >  2. Most of the properties like ieee1394, pcmcia_bus really isn't that
> >     interesting for users of HAL. What they care about is functional
> >     namespaces like storage.*, volume.* and things like block.*. The
> >     only place it's interesting for is to set e.g. storage.bus so the
> >     desktop bits know it's an ATA device. Even there we suck a bit
> >     because we mix bus-types with command-set types.
>
> Well, fdi files use more properties for matching. I had a problem with
> this because single-interface USB devices don't have a separate device
> path for the interface, so there was only "usb_device.*" and no "usb.*"
> (which is mostly a copy of the former). That broke music player and PDA
> recognition. I had to create a fake "usb.*" object.

Yea, that's a good point. There's a fine line and we really need precise
specs so you and the FreeBSD guys can implement this. Really, if the
spec is unclear it should be clarified (patches to the spec!) and I
think it's possible; all the Linux specific bits have been clearly
namespaced to identify that though there is some reliance on POSIX-y
bits like block devices etc.

> Not complaining :)

:-)

Cheers,