Video PM Methods

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 17 02:35:02 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:15 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> Are you sure you really want this, rather than pci
> vendor:device:subvendor:subdevice for the video card?  BenH was telling
> me the other day that he's had good experience moving to the pci IDs
> rather than the DMI system-type field for the whitelisting of pm stuff
> in the radeonfb code.

That's what I originally had, to avoid listing every laptop ever made
by bios version that needs a quirk (1000's?), but Danny pointed out that
we have to do this per-machine using the dmi data, although I wasn't
sure of the exact reasoning. Danny, got any more info?

I figure if the video card is a *specific* device:subdevice from a
specific vendor, then the pm resume tweaks would be the same between
laptop vendors, or is that not a valid assumption?

Richard.

p.s. I'm thinking of writing a python script something like this in the
future (for power users who know the existing resume settings):

<script gets output from lshal>
[ x ] Do you have to use vbetool post
[ x ] Do you have to use radiontool
...etc
<outputs lump of fdi XML to test>
"If works and you are using CVS HAL, then pls send to hal at fd.org"

And script send to various development m/l's.

This way we can start getting the list of cards into CVS so this "just
works" for as many ppl as possible for the next release.

Richard.