Battery technology names

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri May 19 08:31:00 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 18:40 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> You may remember a few weeks ago I asked everyone to email me the
> technology type of the battery. Well, now I've got a bit of spare time,
> I've attached the following patch which tries to sort out the naming
> mess.

I think the spec needs to be more precise here and we should have a row
for each of the "technology names" like e.g. in storage.bus

 http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html?rev=1.86#device-properties-storage

detailing stuff like what "lead-acid" means and maybe mention that if we
read "pb", "pbac" etc. from the hardware it will be assigned to
"lead-acid". Maybe we also need battery.technology to assume the value
"unknown" if we can't parse it.

Perhaps what you want should be in battery.technology.family and we can
keep the existing battery.technology as is; e.g. read from the
hardware / driver mess. I think that's what we want instead.

For this you also need patches to other code that sets battery stuff
e.g. APM, PMU (set to "unknown") and the USB CSR and the USB HID UPS
stuff.

David