Laptop Panel brightness control

Timo Hoenig thoenig at suse.de
Mon May 22 13:16:52 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 15:53 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 21:14 +0200, Timo Hoenig wrote:

> > Sounds like broken software.
>
> Is this a joke?

No, it's just that the bug report sounds like broken software -- as
the /software/ tries to control the brightness, too.

> > As linked from the above URL, I've read the report filed as number
> > 340231 on b.g.o.
> >
> > Yes, it is true that IBM ThinkPad -- Lenovo ThinkPads, too -- do
> > directly control the brightness of the display.  No OS intervention, no
> > driver required; user-space could not care less.  Fn-x combination
> > pressed, job done.
> >
> > Assuming that you're reacting on an event coming through the nvram
> > driver:  You should take this as an notification and not as a request
> > for action.
>
> Yup, that's exactly what
>
>  laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware
>
> means: Don't act on the request because it's done in hardware.

> Yes, we should indeed match all Thinkpads. I've see this too on my T41.

Matching all is perfectly fine -- that's all I wanted to say, all
ThinkPads will show the behavior as reported in the bug.

> What's the problem?

Nothing more than we still do not want to put an XML node into
10-laptop-panel-mgm-policy.fdi for each ThinkPad.

>     David

   Timo