[Pm-utils] Re: Dealing with suspend/resume failures

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Mon Nov 6 16:15:11 PST 2006

Hi,

I had a longer discussion with pjones and davidz about this issue on
IRC. And I just want to share my thoughts about this:

There are different scenarious which might occur:

1. Desktop calls PM-utils via HAL to suspend. The suspend preparation/
   resume cleanup hooks fail due to whatever reason. Two possibilities:

   (1) PM-utils returns with error. Desktop calls SuspendGetLastError() on
       HAL to get the failure reason.

   (2) PM-utils sends out a D-Bus signal with the reason the destop can
       catch

2. Desktop calls PM-utils via HAL to suspend. The suspend preparation/
   resume cleanup hooks succeed. However, the backlight doesn't come back
   although the system is fully operational. Usually the user just
   reboots/powers the system off. The desktop has to figure out that the
   session didn't got unlocked properly, the user wasn't active anymore or
   whatever. But that's absolutely in the scope of the desktop to check
   this, because PM-utils is clueless and SuspendGetLastError() wouldn't
   contain an error.

3. Very rare case: The suspend preparation/ resume cleanup hooks fail
   _and_ the backlight doesn't come back anymore. Two possibilities:

   (1) PM-utils returns with error. Desktop calls SuspendGetLastError() on
       HAL to get the failure reason. But it's not able to show that
       something went wrong and to inform the user. So it doesn't clear
       the error and shows it the next time the system is up properly.

   (2) PM-utils sends out a D-Bus signal with the reason the destop can
       catch. Desktop would have to store this message, or the information
       that suspend failed last time on its own, until next reboot.

>From these scenarious, the only reason why there would be the need for a
SuspendGetLastError() would be 3..

If the job ob SuspendGetLastError() is to return the suspend log to the
desktop, then it's ok, but we wouldn't need it for the information if
suspend failed last time. Either pm-utils fails, sends a signal and
desktops catches it. Or, backlight doesn't come back, then pm-utils is
clueless anyway and desktop has to deal with it on its own.

And in fact, I think the goal is simplicity here, doing a simple dbus-send
in PM-utils would be much more simpler then adding multiple new methods to
HAL.

So as a conclusion, if we agree that we need a method in HAL to get the
suspend log, not only on error (which is similiar to the backlight case),
then ok, let's do it, but I doubt that we need it. Sending out a signal
would still be possible. SuspendGetLastError() would only serve one
purpose, getting the suspend log. Sending the signal would serve the
purpose to inform the desktop that suspension failed. In case PM-Utils
doesn't know of a failure and doesn't send the signal, desktop is on its
own anyway.

I'm not against going the HAL-methods-way, but I think the signal-way is
much simpler. Both will do their job.

Regards,
	Holger