hal-info: making hardware updates easier

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Nov 6 16:36:14 PST 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 23:55, Richard Hughes wrote:
> The idea for versioning is for hal-info to use the date (e.g. 20061024)
> for it's version, and for hal to not depend on any particular version of
> hal-info. The idea being, hal is released every few months, but a new
> release of hal-info every couple of weeks would be no bad thing.

Sorry, I forgot to comment, there is currently much work ...

If you suggest this would make it easier for a linux distributor to update the
fdi information files, I would say: normally no, it make it not easier.

Yes you don't need to update the HAL package, but:

 * if you e.g. and new keys/property you need to update the spec and this mean
   normaly you need to update the HAL package
 * as a distributor you can't update the package for a relased version without
   QA work and this is at least the the same as if you update HAL, because you
   need to be sure that a change in the fdi-files change the behavior of HAL
   and the applications which use HAL.

This mean: you don't win anything - for you distribution.

Only my 2cent.

Danny