hal-info: making hardware updates easier

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:52:05 PST 2006

Way to duplicate effort, I've been telling you guys about
dohickey.sourceforge.net for a long time now which includes a perfect
medium of updating hardware information. ok so it'll also contain
information about hardware that isn't useful to drive it; but it will
contain information that hal will find useful. it even has model
switching because more information is available about detected
hardware presenting better choices to users.

hal-info looks promising but it's still stunted and heavily in favour
of developer contributed information.

how will a user keep up to date information?
how will a user correct mistakes?
how is administration done on submitted data?
how do you keep your types structure up to date?

I could do with some help myself to be honest and we could come up
with a solution which is better than both projects because we both
have good points of view (and quite a bit of enthusiasm).

Best Regards, Martin Owens