HAL state after suspend

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Nov 15 14:21:32 PST 2006

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> How can I tell HAL to rescan for hardware changes after resume?

See some hacks in e.g. this installed file

  /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

that we use because some ACPI events lost even during normal suspend to
ram. It should also make HAL reread values from the batteries.... I
presume you are using ACPI?

> ATM I have
> notebook, that had near to empty battery before suspending to disk. Now
> battery is full (as long as I van believe indicators) but kpowersave still
> shows it empty.
>
> Of course it may indicate problem somewhere else (powersaved, acpid?).

Need to look at the reported values at each layer in the stack

  - Desktop app (kpowersave, gnome-power-manager, etc.)
  - HAL (use lshal)
  - Kernel (use cat)

I bet this is the kernel lying about it. Which in turn may be some
embedded controller that the ACPI tables in the kernel uses. Lots of layers!

> I used to restart haldaemon on resume, but then this results in kpowersave
> wranings usually about lost connection so it is not really an option either.

Oh no no no, please don't do this.

     David