hal 0571 works, hal >=0581 does not

Peter sw98234 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 17 06:40:58 PST 2006

With dbus 1.0.0 and dbus-glib 0.72, hal 0.5.7.1 works fine, hald loads
along with the runner. When I try the same with 0.5.8.1 with no policy
kit, the hald daemon segfaults after probing volumes, and hal makes dbus
inaccessible. The same occurs with the git version.

I tried to capture the output of hald --daemon=no, but can't seem to get
stdout to redirect to a file.

hald --daemon=no >halfile.txt creates an empty file, not the whole
screenfuls of data normally passed.

So, not being a programmer, where should I start in order to provide you
with useful information.

kernel-2.6.17.3 with ck patches
Slackware 11
udev 0.97