Add support for /sys/class/backlight

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Fri Nov 24 09:15:22 PST 2006

On Thu 02. Nov - 19:10:34, Holger Macht wrote:
> On Thu 02. Nov - 08:53:02, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 12:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Well. That only works if we add sysfs objects before ACPI objects.
> > > Which
> > > I think might work actually. Otherwise we can always change that.
> >
> > Holger, how are you getting on? Have you hit any problems, or am I just
> > being impatient? :-)
>
> Yes, you are impatient :-) No, it's still on my TODO and I hope I'll have
> some time the next days, at the latest at the weekend. It should just be a
> oneliner or the like, no? So if you like to do it, go ahead ;-)

Well, so it lasted a little bit longer then 'the next days' but I finally
made it ;-)

New patch attached which does the following:

Patch adding support for the /sys/class/backlight interface. If available,
a device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_backlight is created. The
patch adds a class device and adjusts the scripts for the methods
GetBrightness and SetBrightness on the interface
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel. As soon as all kernel drivers are
converted to the new interface, we can drop the vendor specific code in
acpi.c. In case a driver supports both, the old /proc interface and the
new /sysfs one, the code in acpi.c immediately returns so that the /sysfs
interface is preferred.

Comments? Commit approvals? ;-)

Regards,
	Holger