Video adapter resuming

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Nov 27 10:03:16 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 23:14 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> (first, sorry for the cross posting, but I think I need to...)
>
> I guess we still want video adapter blacklisting in HAL for identifying
> stuff like vbe restore and s3mode. I think we came to the consensus that
> we should specify arguments to pm-suspend to add the options into the
> hal script.

That's how I see it too.

> I've attached an example - I've got about 10 other vendors
> worth of data converted from the suspend DMI array-list, and Fujitsu is
> a good example. Using the suspend data gives us a good kick-start for
> lots and lots of laptops.
>
> So, if I've got all this right we need to do:
>
> 1. merge the 20-video-adpater-pm-[vendor].fdi files to hal-info
> 2. change hal-system-video-suspend and hal-system-video-resume to take
> the hal properties and form them as command line arguments to pm-suspend
> and pm-hibernate
> 3. add functionality to pm-* to parse the command line data and push the
> data into environment variables for the 20video hook.
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds good to me? Peter, other pm-utils maintainers?

One nitpick however... I'd like to see the properties prefixed with
power_management.quirk.* instead of video_adapter_pm.* - is that
alright? Then hal-system-power-[suspend,hibernate], which is guaranteed
to be called on the /o/f/H/d/computer object anyway, can just read these
properties from the environment thus saving some round trips. And then
we don't need to have a new video_adapter_pm.* namespace nor the need
for extra methods.

How about that?

     David