libhal C++ wrapper

P. Durante shackan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 10:57:04 PST 2006

On 11/27/06, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> This sounds interesting however long term I'm hoping to get rid of
> libhal all together and make applications move towards using D-Bus
> bindings.
>
> For some languages / runtimes I think the plan is to create the bindings
> classes at runtime (e.g. Mono, Java, Python), for others (e.g. glib and
> probably plain C++) I think the idea is to generate stub classes.
>
> Did you check out dbus-cpp that Murray Cumming wrote 1-2 years ago?
>
>  http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus-cpp/
>
> Perhaps it would be useful if dbus-cpp included a binding tool that took
> D-Bus introspection XML and generated stubs. Unless this is the case
> already? Thanks.

As far as I know that code is discontinued, the bindings page[1]
mentions a new project, which does indeed have a tool to generate
stubs from XML descriptions, unfortunately it currently generates only
server-side stubs (adding client support is the first item in the TODO
file), in the mean time clients have to bind signals and invoke remote
methods directly (but patches are obviously welcome), as it's done in
one of the examples [2] (which, just so happens to interface with HAL)

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fDBusBindings
[2] http://dev.openwengo.org/trac/openwengo/trac.cgi/browser/wengophone-ng/branches/wengophone-dbus-api/libs/dbus/examples/hal

regards,
Paolo