Profiling memory usage

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:54:57 PST 2006

I've been playing with massif and HAL to try and get the memory usage
reduced for projects like the 770 which are limited in memory.

You can see some initial results are here:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/massif.pdf - notice the
massive 3Mb memory allocation of queue_events().

I've been using massif, with local HAL patches to make it work - I've
found you can't drop privs, else massif won't write it's output files.

I've attached the patch I've been using. The default of dropping privs
is the same as before. Comments? Okay to commit?

Richard.