VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Sun Oct 1 12:16:50 PDT 2006

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:44:45 +0100
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 10:49 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > Anyway, as I understand now, pm-utils calls hall to suspend the
> > video cards. But what happened to: "hal depends on pm-utils, not
> > the other way around"? This way pm-utils is less generic then
> > promised; you can't usefully get the machine to sleep without hal.
>
> You can. You can simply add one file (either specific or generic) to
> the hooks directory to perform video suspend and/or resume.
>
> It's probably best the file to do the video resume via hal is moved to
> the hal project and is then installed into pm-utils hooks, so that you
> only get the hal hook is you have hal installed.

Sounds sensible, but ...
I understand that you want to make use of the capabilities of hal to
match hardware, but by moving video resume to hal you make pm-utils
much less useful on it self. It will not "just work"....

> > BTW, I think you're aware of suspend.sf.net, there they have some
> > more options to get the graphics card to behave.
> >
> >     -s, --vbe_save:   save VBE state before suspending and restore
> > 	after resume.
> >     -p, --vbe_post:   VBE POST the graphics card after
> > 	resume
> >     -m, --vbe_mode:   get VBE mode before suspend and set it after
> > 	resume
> >     -r, --radeontool: turn off the backlight on radeons before
> > 	suspending.
> >     -a, --acpi_sleep: set the acpi_sleep parameter before
> > 	suspend 1=s3_bios, 2=s3_mode, 3=both
>
> These can all be used in the hook thing I was talking about above.
> This stuff should all "just work" tho - my girlfriend doesn't know
> what model her graphics chip is, even less what ACPI and VBE mean.

Sure, I meant that know HAL knows about a subset of these now, it
should also know about vbe_post and radeontool to "just work" on
all machines.

grts Tim