Add support for /sys/class/backlight

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 5 19:31:40 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 23:52 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> Patch adding support for the /sys/class/backlight interface. If available,
> a device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_backlight is created. The
> patch adds a class device and adjusts the scripts for the methods
> GetBrightness and SetBrightness on the interface
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel. As soon as all kernel drivers are
> converted to the new interface, we may drop the vendor specific code in
> acpi.c.

Looks good to me. But probably only if a driver converts wholesale to
the new sysfs interface, e.g. it either provides the old vendor-specific
interface OR the new sysfs interface and not both at once. But I think
this is the case for all drivers, yes?

Cuz if this is not the case we probably need some code to skip
vendor-specific checks if we find a sysfs backlight interface. And this
is hard as the sysfs backlight interface probably can come and go.

Do you have commit access yet?

Thanks,
David