VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Fri Oct 6 00:45:54 PDT 2006

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:22:41 -0400
David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> So I'm not super excited either about pm-utils calling into HAL. I do
> think, however, having the quirk information in a well-defined format
> (e.g. hal fdi files) is important.

> How about this approach:
>
>  1. pm-suspend / pm-hibernate takes parameters such as the above,
>     e.g. you can specify the quirks on the command line.
>
>  2. when HAL invoke pm-suspend / pm-hibernate it passes the quirks
>     on the command line. We get this from FDI files.

Sounds good to me, that way all the 'work' is done by pm-utils, which
is the logical place IMHO.
Now we don't need the SuspendVideo and friends anymore, I don't think
there ever was a real use case for somebody calling SuspendVideo
without suspending the whole system anyway.

>  3. when resuming, pm-suspend / pm-hibernate saves the last passed
>     options in a configuration file somewhere if that location
>     is writable. User should be able to tweak that configuration
>     and specifically tell pm-suspend / pm-hibernate not to touch
>     it at all

To by-pass the fdi files you mean? Maybe we shouldn't make that to
easy; if we do, people that know how get there system to work might not
have that much incentive to push it to HAL.
Maybe we could provide some documentation/script on how to create
and install an fdi file, with a note asking to send it here.

grts Tim