VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 6 05:48:40 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 09:45 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> >  3. when resuming, pm-suspend / pm-hibernate saves the last passed
> >     options in a configuration file somewhere if that location
> >     is writable. User should be able to tweak that configuration
> >     and specifically tell pm-suspend / pm-hibernate not to touch
> >     it at all
>
> To by-pass the fdi files you mean? Maybe we shouldn't make that to
> easy; if we do, people that know how get there system to work might not
> have that much incentive to push it to HAL.
> Maybe we could provide some documentation/script on how to create
> and install an fdi file, with a note asking to send it here.

That's a good point.

So we could make HAL pass an option, say, --dont-generate-quirk-file, to
pm-suspend / pm-hibernate. If said pm-utils programs don't find this
options in the resume path they leave a file in, say, /var/lib/pm-utils/
called pm-utils-quirks.fdi. Then power managers such as g-p-m can look
for this file and prompt the user to submit it upstream via established
mechanism such as bug-buddy for GNOME.

Can also ask the user to copy it to the users local fdi file repository
in /etc/hal/fdi/information AFTER it's submitted upstream.

What about that?

    David