Remarks on commit related to fuse support

Logan Rathbone rathbonel at phoenuxos.com
Sat Oct 21 22:36:57 PDT 2006

I'm a  packager for a small new distribution (PhoeNUX OS) which has yet
to be released.  I'm working on getting  HAL working correctly for us
right now.

I just have a remark on this commit:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=commit;h=2ea340399bf8cf3d2bb6bd1b5c4ecbc2042e93d4

Our distro has chosen to use /mnt rather than /media.  We have patched
the /media hardcodes (in the tools/ mostly) and changed them to /mnt.
With the patch applied as the commit above, to a pristine 0.5.8.1 HAL,
my root partition's volume.mount_point gets defined as '' rather than
'/', which causes confusion for KDE's mediamanager, which we are using
in the distro.

Obviously for now we are simply not applying the patch, but since it has
been committed upstream, we want to make sure that HAL will continue to
work for us in the future.  I am assuming that with the /media hardcodes
left alone in the source, that things would work fine -- but I'm just
wondering if anyone here would have any idea why they are not.

Also, it would be nice if /media were not hardcoded in the first place
-- so that distros like us, and Mandriva, for instance, who choose to
use /mnt rather than /media, can use HAL without constantly maintaining
and updating patches.

If anyone could please advise, that would be great.
--Logan Rathbone
Developer/packager for PhoeNUX OS