hal-info: making hardware updates easier

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 00:43:00 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 09:35 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 22:55 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > The idea for versioning is for hal-info to use the date (e.g. 20061024)
> > for it's version, and for hal to not depend on any particular version of
> > hal-info. The idea being, hal is released every few months, but a new
> > release of hal-info every couple of weeks would be no bad thing.
>
> I don't know how hal and hal-info will exchange data, but you might want
> to version that interface too unless it's dead-simple, and provide
> (optional) backward compatibility in hal-info if it ever changes.

No exchange. hal-info just installs files into /usr/share/hal/fdi/foo -
or do you mean the hal specification interface? I hope the hal spec will
not change, and if it does, we'll need to provide fallbacks so any
version of hal-info can be used with any version of hal.

> I can imagine, for example, debian stable freezing hal and putting
> hal-info into volatile where it'll be updated over years to come while
> hal stays the same. Similar with Ubuntu who are promising 18 months now.

That would be an ideal situation IMO. Updating hal-info should break
nothing, and make more stuff just work.

Richard.