loopback devices

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Fri Oct 27 15:29:19 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 08:51:36PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 19:39 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> losetup is privileged as well, so there's not much point in making the
> loop devices show up to be mountable since regular users can't associate
> a file with the loop to start with.

Can that be handled separately?  One could have a script that invokes losetup
via gksu, and register it as a file handler for *.iso (I do that myself).

I'm not sure if there is any advantage in handling the actual mount in hal/gvm.
Perhaps it makes more sense to put it all together in the same script?

> If you want to make them able to associate a file with a loop to say
> mount a CD image, you'd need to do that in hal and make sure they can
> only mount files they can access.

I was thinking only about users who have access to root account, actualy.

> Basically, mounting CDs, USB devices etc works by just plugging them in.
> But loop devices are always there and the iso images are also always
> there so it needs an explicit by the user to associate some file with a
> loop and then mount that.

There's this new path, /dev/loop/[0-9], where device nodes are linked/unlinked
dynamicaly unlike /dev/loop[0-9].  Maybe that helps?

Thanks,

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot at aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.