HAL, fstab conflicts

Chris Spencer millionaire317 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 23:10:37 PST 2006

Hello everyone, I'm having a small problem.

Like many Linux users, I use multiple desktop environments. However, out of
all of them, only one is compiled with HAL support (GNOME). The problem is,
whenever I load a data cd, the disc seems to get mounted twice when using
GNOME, creating 2 icons for the same device. I asked a few GNOME people, and
they told me this was caused by HAL loading fstab. I don't know how this
works, as I read that fstab-sync was removed months ago. A quick workaround
for this problem is simply commenting out the cdrom entry in fstab. This is
where things get complicated:

My KDE, XFce, and Enligthenment installations aren't HAL enabled, so they
depend on the fstab entry. Before I start fiddling with more serious methods
(i.e attempting to edit the code or re-compiling every DE I have), I thought
I would see what others had to say about the issue. Is it possible for HAL
to check fstab entries before it adds to them?

I'm using Slackware Linux 11, KDE 3.5.4, GNOME 2.16.1, and HAL 0.5.8.1. Any
response whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.