hal forks many hald-addon-storage processes

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 11 13:08:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:

> > Yes, of course I can( and that is what I'm going to do, I don't need all
> > this virtual devices ), but way it causes such load?
>
> It's probably the same issue as we've hit here
>
>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-May/005375.html
>
> with the SCSI layer sending out a bunch of retries. I'm adding Alan
> Stern to the Cc, for reference the original bug report is here
>
>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-September/006077.html
>
> with specifics about the hardware here
>
>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-September/006091.html
>
>  (executive summary: load is around 2 on a SunFire X4100 server
>   most likely caused by having 8 "virtual" USB floppy drives and one
>   "virtual" USB CD-ROM drive. These "virtual" drives are provided by the
>   BIOS.)

It's possible that this is the same sort of issue.  The fact that these
are "virtual" devices might influence the load somehow, perhaps increasing
it.

A couple of patches were submitted back in June, to reduce the number of
retries from the SCSI layer.  To date they have not been accepted.  If you
want, I could send you pointers to them, although they were for a later
kernel than 2.6.14.

Alan Stern